POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Invisible: PureData : Re: Invisible: PureData Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invisible: PureData
From: Florian Pesth
Date: 17 Feb 2011 18:34:41
Message: <4d5db091$1@news.povray.org>
Am Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:22:07 +0000 schrieb Invisible:

> It's nice that you can load it up and say "plot exp(-x**2)" and it
> immediately plots something. (The alternative being to open Excel, make
> an X column, fill it with suitable values, write the formula into a
> cell, copy it down, select the column, run the chart wizard... are you
> bored yet?)

Well, right tool for the right job...

> As soon as you want to do anything even moderately complex, it becomes
> an utter nightmare. The documentation is minimal to say the least.

Nah - the build in help covers everything, but I give you that some stuff
is really hard to find.

> The
> properties have utterly unintuitive names and no logical grouping. And
> half the time it seems to be actually impossible to make it plot the way
> you want it to.
>
> On top of that, while the expression language is great for plotting
> explicit functions, it's useless for plotting anything else. Even
> something as trivial as a recurrence relation is beyond its power.

I don't know what exactly you want to do, but googling for "recurrence
relation gnuplot" came up with this nice mandelbrot fractal:

http://t16web.lanl.gov/Kawano/gnuplot/fractal/mandelbrot-e.html

That's already a quite old version of povray and I guess you can do more
stuff with newer versions - I think the most difficult part is telling
gnuplot what you want to do.

But I guess the stuff gnuplot is really good at is plotting data
(experimental results or computer simulation results) and it does a good
job at this. Usually we write the program putting out data ourself, so if
gnuplot likes spaces instead of commas as separator its usually not a big
deal (And then there is awk and such stuff ;)). It is not made for the
data processing itself, that is usually done outside of gnuplot (even
though you can hack quite some stuff in it).

> Now, if only it would support CSV input... You know, the de facto file
> format for all numerical data? Yeah. :-P

I think it does? See

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/docs_4.2/node173.html