POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : gyroid structure : Re: gyroid structure Server Time
2 Jul 2024 12:05:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gyroid structure
From: stbenge
Date: 17 Feb 2011 16:36:47
Message: <4d5d94ef@news.povray.org>
On 2/17/2011 1:03 PM, stbenge wrote:
> On 2/17/2011 12:05 PM, Colaroid wrote:
>>
>>> i think isosurface is what you need
>>
>> Thanks! I'm not sure how to convert my formula into my isosurface. I keep
>> getting a parse error.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> I'm pretty that when you see "sin 2x" you need to type sin(2*x), and for
> "sin 2x cos y sin z" you need to type sin(2*x)*cos(y)*sin(z).
>
> After trying to take the whole equation literally, the result I
> received did not closely resemble the image you linked to. It was
> similar, but the structures were not thin and the transitions were
> quite lumpy.

OK, I may have found an answer.

Do a Google search for "v(x,y,z) = sin 2x cos y sin z" and you will get
a single result linking to a PDF ("EmissaryFall99"). Open the PDF
document and search for "v(x,y,z) = sin 2x cos y sin z" and it will take
you directly to an image of a "core-shelled double gyroid." The equation
is exactly the same as the one you posted. The inner surface of the
object shown is the same one I got when I used the equation directly in
an isosurface (you may need to adjust the threshold).

Perhaps the image you linked to was a core-shelled double gyroid mesh
/after/ it had been "relaxed" for a few iterations using Surface Evolver?

Sam