POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Regarding Australian content filtering... : Re: Regarding Australian content filtering... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Regarding Australian content filtering...
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Feb 2011 22:17:06
Message: <4d5c9332$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> could argue that everything *prior* to the addition of those was fair
> game, more or less, if you could engineer the means to see it,

If it's coming into your house and there aren't laws about it, then sure.
And indeed, that's generally how it was looked upon. But then the
politicians passed laws making it illegal to build/use/etc a receiver for
the frequencies which were reserved for people paying for content.

> something about the people that just happened to know how to make a
> receiver (or bought one, for legit use).

I don't know where encryption comes into it, then. You could equally say
"fair game for people who know how to break the encryption", which is
exactly what the DMCA is addressing.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"