POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Invisible: PureData : Re: Invisible: PureData Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invisible: PureData
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Feb 2011 17:27:58
Message: <4d5c4f6e$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> OK. But given the ability to pick the number of bits you want, you can
> implement the rest as a mere library.

If your language syntax is flexible enough to allow such a specification,
yes, that works. Ada also selectively enforces the ranges, optimizes based
on the ranges, and allows you to declare (for example) arrays whose index is
based on such a type. Oh, and pack such things into the minimum number of
bits needed if you have an array of such things. (The canonical example
being reading a FAT-formatted floppy FAT directly into a packed array of
0..4095 integers.) Sure, if your language supports that sort of thing as a
library, you can do it that way, but then you're *way* over the complexity
of putting it in the compiler.

I'm just saying that I prefer declarations of the form "I need a variable to
hold these following application-specific values" than saying "first, figure
out what machine type will hold these application-specific values, then use
that type."  That latter step really ought to be done by the compiler, IMO.

This doesn't work? http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

> Well, yeah. But I mean, you can make it grok stuff that doesn't look
> like algebra; it's flexible enough to do that.

Fair enough. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"