POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Invisible: PureData : Re: Invisible: PureData Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invisible: PureData
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Feb 2011 12:46:55
Message: <4d5c0d8f$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Like, in Haskell, if I want a 64-bit unsigned integer, I say "Word64".

I like Ada's method better, where you say "I need an integer that ranges
from -273 to +100. Please pick the appropriate size machine integer."  Or "I
need a float that ranges from +1E29 to -1E13 with a maximum error of 1E-9,
please pick the appropriate floating point variable type."  Saying the size
of your answer in terms of register bits seems pretty primitive no matter
what the language.  (And less portable, if your machine isn't using 8-bit
bytes.)

> *Everything* with GNU in the name sucks on Windows!

The CLI stuff isn't too bad.  Of course, it's hard to screw up something
like md5sum.

> You can (and people have) use it for things that aren't math.

You mean, you can use it to apply math to apparently non-mathematical
problems. ;-)  You just described the basis of all formalisms.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"