POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Invisible: PureData : Re: Invisible: PureData Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:13:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invisible: PureData
From: Warp
Date: 16 Feb 2011 11:03:19
Message: <4d5bf547@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Like, in Haskell, if I want a 64-bit unsigned integer, I say "Word64".
> In C, I say...

  uint64_t

  (Yes, it has been standard for almost 12 years already.)

> Assembly gives you total control, if that's what you want.

  And how do you specify a 64-bit unsigned integer in assembly, exactly?
(Remember: You complained how C integral types are system-dependent.)

> Haskell lets
> you get on with writing a complex algorithm, if that's what you want. C
> lets you do neither of these things.

  Depends on the algorithm. (C++ is definitely better in this aspect
because in many cases it removes the need to worry about memory management
so you can just concentrate on the algorithm itself, although not always.)

--
                                                          - Warp