POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Invisible: PureData : Re: Invisible: PureData Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invisible: PureData
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Feb 2011 04:20:34
Message: <4d5a4562$1@news.povray.org>
>> As I say, it looks too low-level for me.
>
> It is low-level. But, really, its not supposed to be a high-level tool.

Same reason I dislike C. ;-)

> But-- If you're working on a softsynth, or fooling around with DSP
> techniques, it beats coding up a program, since it already has the
> framework laid down, all you need to do is make the connections. It can
> also do things live, which can be interesting.

Same goes for Reaktor. Except that that has a pretty GUI and comes with
a truckload of soft synths that are useful out-of-the-box. (OTOH, it's a
very expensive product...)

>> I use GNUplot from time to time, and that annoys me with its lame
>> interface too. I keep promising myself that some day I'll make a proper
>> graphing tool...
>
> Yeah, GNUPlot sucks. My use for Maxima is mostly for simply quickly
> plugging something in, and solving it w/o having to manually do the
> algebra.

Doesn't Maxima (and every other CAS that isn't Mathematica) use GNUplot
for all its graphing?

Anyway, Wolfram Alpha lets you solve most things for free. If you can
convince it to comprehend the question, and if Wolfram haven't
deliberately disabled it. For that is the biggest problem with WA;
Wolfram talks the big talk about "making everything computable", but if

the full version of Mathematica, would there? Thus, they have
deliberately disabled certain queries.

If only I had the time and the expertise to build something similar
myself... (Ha! Like anybody has that much time and energy.)