POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Where are all these threads coming from? : Re: Where are all these threads coming from? Server Time
25 Jun 2024 20:28:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where are all these threads coming from?
From: Tim Riley
Date: 14 Feb 2011 17:17:57
Message: <4d59aa15$1@news.povray.org>
On 14-Feb-11 14:45, Alain wrote:
> Le 2011/02/14 12:36, Tim Riley a écrit :
>> I'm running 3.7RC3 under XP32-SP3 on an i7 CPU. I just rendered an image
>> (actually I just finished a continued render from last week) and noticed
>> the following:
>>
>> Render Time:
>> Photon Time: 0 hours 16 minutes 54 seconds (1014.000 seconds)
>> using 11 thread(s) with 3628.419 CPU-seconds total
>> Radiosity Time: No radiosity
>> Trace Time: 1 hours 4 minutes 42 seconds (3882.079 seconds)
>> using 8 thread(s) with 28627.340 CPU-seconds total
>>
>> The 8 threads is correct, but 11 threads? Is POV fraying my CPU?
>
> How many actual cores?
> Using hyperthreading?
>
> For 8 cores, hyperthreading offer 16 virtual cores: 2 virtual cores per actual core.
>

> Alain

Good question. According to the Intel website:

"This quad-core processor features 8-way multitasking capability..."
and
"Intel® HT Technology◊ allows each core of your processor to work on two tasks at
the same time."

which I interpret to mean there are four hyperthreaded actual cores, for a total of
eight virtual cores. Process
Explorer shows eight "CPUs"; I think it refers to individual virtual cores.

I've never seen POV list more than eight threads on this machine, but I don't
religiously check the stats unless I sense
something strange happening; and I don't normally stop in mid-render and continue
later. So I can't say it never
happened before, or whether pausing the render is involved.