POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray Real Camera Simulation : Re: Povray Real Camera Simulation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray Real Camera Simulation
From: Alain
Date: 13 Feb 2011 16:04:53
Message: <4d584775@news.povray.org>

> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to create a realistic looking image with all the camera artefacts
> introduced into it e.g. noise, vignetting, bayer demosaicing, anti-aliasing. And
> I'd like to add the noise in proportion to the number of photons hitting the
> pixel. This is to simulate exposure tuned images that is the noise at the
> high-frame rate images should be more than the noise at low-frame rate images.
> Is it possible to do it using povray without too much time expense?
>
> While anti-aliasing can be done using the +A option but in my case it takes
> enormous amount of time because the scene is really complex. The other option is
> to create a super resolution image and then downsample it, but are there any
> other better ways to do it?
>
> I'm totally clueless about vignetting and bayer demosaicing. Is it possible with
> povray?
>
> It would be really helpful if someone can help me with generating these
> realistic looking povray images with real camera artefacts!
>
> Thanks for your patience.

To reproduce the noise associated with emultion, you can use jitter for
every area_light. In that case, keep the light array density relatively low.
Adding crand with a large value will also add a fair amount on noise. It
could be interesting to play with crand using a negative value. Normaly,
crand darken some random pixels.
Be warned that both don't realy play nice with anti aliasing forcing it
to kick in much more frequently.

The vignetting is a progressive darkening as you get away from the
center of the image. You can do it using a spherical pattern and the
macros from screen.inc.

If you add a lense shaped object just in front of the camera, you can
easily add some realistic chromatic aberation and also some distortion.
Add: interior{ior 1.1 dispersion 1.01} to the lense object.

Not touching everything you mentioned, but giving somewhere to start
looking.

Alain