POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random graphics paper : Re: Random graphics paper Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:28:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random graphics paper
From: scott
Date: 8 Feb 2011 03:32:22
Message: <4d50ff96$1@news.povray.org>
> I'm still waiting to see a water system where the ripples reflect off
> obsticles in the water. I mean, hell, it can't be *that* hard to fake
> such an effect, even if solving the wave equation for real is too
> expensive...

I think there was a boat racing game recently that did this (the boats
affected and got effected by the waves).  Simulating the wave equation
(or a good approximation of it) is quite easy to do now on the GPU
thanks to being able to use texture lookups in a vertex shader.  Having
it interact with other objects seems a simple case of having an
additional 2D texture to show where objects are, and then using that as
you're solving the wave equation.