POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : default pigment : Re: default pigment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: default pigment
From: Alain
Date: 6 Feb 2011 21:26:50
Message: <4d4f586a$1@news.povray.org>

> On 5/02/2011 23:16, John VanSickle wrote:
>> #default { pigment { rgb 1 } }
>>
>> at the beginning of your scenes, and you'll have what you want.
>
> I know that, and that's what I do. My question wasn't how to do that,
> but why I should do that.
>
> Or rather: why the default texture is actually unusable in 99% of the
> cases, whereas it would be very useful for almost any test rendering if
> the default pigment was white.

The problem here, is that ANY default pigment would be
unusable/useless/anoying for many peoples.
In my case: There are cases when white is a good choice, other when pure
red or green are more usefull, and usualy, pure black is perfect.

That olds true for the default pigment, finish and background.

Even for the same person, a default can be optimum in one case and next
to unusable in another.

So, that's why there is a #default{...} directive and several background
features.

Alain