  Re: Molecular biology
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Feb 2011 18:48:34
Message: <4d4f3352$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> The **exact same** problem exists when arguing, "Historically, there are
> a lot of examples of people resisting governments." Yes, there are, but
> most of them haven't been governments with access to nearly limitless
> high technology.

So, you mean the fact that the USA hasn't actually accomplished very many of
our military goals doesn't count? Viet Nam wasn't up against nearly
limitless high technology? Bin Laden isn't up against nearly limitless high
technology?

> its fairly rare for *enlightened* people to be doing the resisting.

Ignoring, you mean, China and Egypt, say?

It always amazes me when you make these arguments ignoring what's in the
headlines world-wide even as you type them.  It makes it hard to have any
sort of reasonable discussion with you, when you start saying things like
"you'll never see a spontaneous revolution against a dictatorship clamoring
for democracy" while an entire country is, even as we speak, doing exactly that.

(You did the same thing with an argument about a national fiat currency
never collapsing even as Iceland was starving because their fiat currency
had just collapsed.)

> do so tend not to be someone who wants to create/defend a democracy.

> basically little more than an Oligarchy, with pretenses at universal
> distribution of goods and services.

You really should ask some chinese people what they think of Mao.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"