POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day, another song : Re: Another day, another song Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day, another song
From: Shay
Date: 5 Feb 2011 11:51:47
Message: <4d4d8023$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/05/2011 02:48 AM, Warp wrote:
>    While I were at it

I know you try to get this kind of thing right, so I'll share a little
about 'was' and 'were'. The ONLY time 'were' is used to describe the
state of a singular noun like 'I' is in a present-tense statement
contrary to fact.

"If I were a rich man ..." => I don't have a lot of money now, but if I
did ...

"If I was a rich man ..." => If I had a lot of money in the past ...

"If we were rich men ..." => Ambiguous, but correct. Usually understood
as relating to the present. In cases where you want to talk about the
past, adding "at that time" would clear up the ambiguity.

  -Shay