POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Feb 2011 13:45:57
Message: <4d49a665$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:28:33 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Well, they *do* move books from library to library on request. But I've
> looked at the library's catalogue, and there's almost nothing
> interesting in it.

Just browsing the catalogue isn't sufficient; if you're looking for books
on a topic, ask the staff to help you find them.  That's what they're
paid to do.

> (I especially love the 1960s-era dumb terminal connected to a
> telex-style user interface that they use for allowing you to access the
> catalogue. Nice to know they're up with modern times...)

I remember an actual card catalogue - you know, with index cards with the
entries printed on them?  You think what you're seeing isn't helpful, try
using an actual meatspace card catalogue. :-)

>> But if you get to know the staff at the library, they're often full of
>> useful information.
>
>  From what I've seen, they're over-worked, under-paid, and very
>  unmotivated.

I think the lack of motivation often comes from not being given
challenging work.  But the topics you are looking for would be a
challenge, so get to know them.  You may also find that having someone
ask them for something interesting/challenging is just what they're
waiting for - far better than having some tween coming in asking where to
find the latest Twilight 'novel', which is probably 90% of what they get
asked about.

Jim