POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I am convinced... : Re: I am convinced... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I am convinced...
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2011 04:49:08
Message: <4d492894@news.povray.org>
On 31/01/2011 09:31 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Well, since the microcode is just a bunch of extremely wide bitmaps
>> that open and close various switches, it wouldn't surprise me if doing
>> so in the wrong combination could short-circuit something, or do
>> something similarly bad.
>
> That's a point. I don't think that's real common, tho. There's usually
> something where you're connecting an input to an output. You connect the
> memory bus to the register, not the power in to the power out. :-)

Connect two outputs together, with one trying to drive a line high, and
the other trying to drive it low, and you could have some "interesting"
problems.

>> So what you're saying is it lets you access a file like you access
>> memory? (And presumably avoids the data being swapped out to the swap
>> file when you actually want it to end up in some other file anyway...)
>
> Yes, precisely.

OK. So what's all this stuff about "the OS loads programs by memory
mapping them"? (Hopefully this will explain why programs show up as
generating a non-zero number of "page faults", even though no swapping
is actually happening...)