POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2011 04:28:21
Message: <4d4923b5$1@news.povray.org>
>> Oh, the *library* doesn't contain any technical books. Trying to find
>> anything there beyond GCSE level is a waste of time. You couldn't even
>> find a book on integral calculus, much less something advanced like
>> digital filter design.
>
> It isn't always about the content the library has on hand so much as
> getting to know the librarians.  I don't know if in the UK libraries
> borrow from each other (but I suspect they do), so sometimes the material
> you are looking for is available to them even if it's not on-site.

Well, they *do* move books from library to library on request. But I've
looked at the library's catalogue, and there's almost nothing
interesting in it.

(I especially love the 1960s-era dumb terminal connected to a
telex-style user interface that they use for allowing you to access the
catalogue. Nice to know they're up with modern times...)

> But if you get to know the staff at the library, they're often full of
> useful information.

 From what I've seen, they're over-worked, under-paid, and very unmotivated.