POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unix shell : Re: Unix shell Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unix shell
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Feb 2011 19:20:06
Message: <4d48a336$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   How do you resolve this? That's right: You tell the compiler which files
>>> it needs to compile.
>
>> Nope. You tell the compiler which *object* file goes with the appropriate
>> *source* file.
>
>   Yeah, huge difference.

And *this* is exactly why these arguments go on for so long.

I can't tell whether you're being a truly masterful troll, or whether your
misplaced egoism has completely blinded you.

I make a comment. You strawman an argument against it.  I point out that
you're putting words in my mouth. Instead of saying "OK, I was wrong in my
assertion, I don't see the difference, please explain again why it matters",
you say "I wasn't wrong, because even tho I was *factually* incorrect, it
doesn't make any difference, because there couldn't possibly be any
difference, so I'm really right anyway."

Yes, there *is* a huge difference. I spent an entire post of several dozen
lines long pointing out exactly why there's a difference and the
implications it has for this, simply so you could stop picking nits one
sentence at a time and maybe comprehend what I was trying to say. But you
either didn't read it, or you read it and decided you couldn't pick nits
with it, so you asked the same question again and again, ignoring the answer
each time by equating it to something different and then dismissing the
differences.

And you know, for someone who distinguishes "invoking the compiler
preprocessor" from "invoking the compiler", saying there's no significant
difference between source code and object code just doesn't ring true.

>   Are you saying that it's impossible to have a C# source file with the
> same name in two different directories and which implement a class with
> the same name?

I'm saying that if you do, it doesn't matter, because your compilation isn't
looking at that source code.

>> Do you really not see the difference between saying "each time I compile
>> something, I have to pick which source file to compile" and saying "each
>> time I compile something, I have to pick the right source files that go with
>> the corresponding libraries of every library I'll eventually link this with"?
>
>   Not really.

OK. Then I'm afraid I can't explain it to you.

> You have to specify which source files the program is
> composed of.

It's not my program. I've never written a crypto library, nor have I written
a video codec. But I've compiled the source code for parts of those
libraries into every C program I've ever written that used them.

> Your example of the same C file being in two different directories is simply bogus.

Why?

> It has nothing to do with C particularly.

It is much more common in C than in other languages, I've found. YMMV, but
that doesn't make me wrong.

>> Indeed, when I use the C# equivalent of stdio (or any other third-party
>> library), I don't need any source code I didn't write myself, nor do I need
>> to specify where to find the libraries. I merely say which version of what
>> implementation I want.
>
>   And when I write C++, same thing. So what?

So, when you use boost, you don't need to compile any source code to any
software you didn't write yourself? Sorry, that's just a lie. I've looked at
the boost code. It's mostly source code.  And you know what? I've worked on
projects where I've needed two different versions of boost in the same code,
neither version of which was in the repository. It sucks. It's very
difficult to get right.

>   "I have seen the same C file in multiple places, but I have never seen
> the same C# file in multiple places, hence C is clearly the inferior
> language." Yes, very convincing argumentation.

It's only unconvincing because it's a straw man you refuse to acknowledge
isn't what I'm arguing.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"