POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unix shell : Re: Unix shell Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:13:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unix shell
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Feb 2011 15:06:03
Message: <4d4867ab$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   You mentioned some XML file format used by XNA. You want built-in support
> in 'make' for that format?

Nope. Go back and read what I wrote about it.

>> I've given several examples of how to do this.
>
>   By adding built-in support for every single such format in existence to
> 'make'?

No, go back and read what I wrote about it.

> You have not given any *generic* answer to the question, only
> very *specific* ones.

You skipped over the theoretical strace-based mechanism. You also are
refusing to consider the possibility of generalizing the mechanism. I don't
want to waste time trying to discuss possibilities with someone who won't or
can't look at several examples and deduce a generality from them.

>   I don't remember a single one.

Then you're not even reading the answers I take time to write, so ... OK.

I noticed there were a couple of posts where I said "here, instead of a big
long rambling question-and-answer, is a clear summary of why I hold the
stance I do, well organized and cogent, and you seem to have skipped over
all of those.

>> Oddly enough, so are many of the other build systems that nevertheless don't
>> require you to list dependencies in multiple places. Several examples of
>> which I have already given.
>
>   You seem to be obsessed now with the "dependencies in multiple places"
> thing, yet when I ask where exactly is the duplication in the example
> I gave, you don't answer.

Yet, two questions up, you say
"So you do and don't oppose the idea of using third-party tools to generate
the dependencies."

How does your third party tool generate dependencies? Does it not take those
dependencies out of the input you give to *that* tool and store them in
makefiles?

I already answered this. There's a dependency in the makefile that goes
prog.o : prog.c abc.h def.h

There's a dependency in the C file that goes
prog.c:
#include "abc.h"
#include "def.h"

That's the last time I'll answer that question for you, tho.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"