POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Horrible Histories wins the Best Sketch Show at the British Comedy Awards. : Re: Horrible Histories wins the Best Sketch Show at Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Horrible Histories wins the Best Sketch Show at
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Feb 2011 12:19:40
Message: <4d4840ac$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 09:20:28 +0000, Phil Cook v2 wrote:

>> Even worse is when they start one show over the credits of another.  If
>> I'm recording a programme, how am I supposed to get the whole thing if
>> you start EARLY?
>
> Oh I complained to the BBC on that one - Watch a programme on BBC2 until
> the end turn over just as the credits roll and find the programme on
> BBC1 has already started:
>
> "We do allow programme-makers some flexibility in running time, although
> all programmes are expected to run about one minute less than their slot
> time so that we can accommodate promotional trails and continuity
> announcements. If a programme is over-running slightly, it may be
> necessary to begin it a little early."

The thing that really gets to me is that if the provider (Comcast in my
case) provides the time to my DVR and they host the programmes, how is it
possible that the programmes cannot (a) start actually on time, and (b)
the recording can't be jiggered to actually record *the entire programme*
regardless of what time it actually starts?

I mean really - if I ask it to record The Simpsons (and the machine knows
that's what I want), if the programme starts 15 minutes late because of a
news bulletin, time change because of programming earlier in the day
(Super Bowl, World Series, etc), the dumb thing should *know* that I
don't care what's on between 7 PM and 7:30 PM if it isn't The Simpsons -
so it shouldn't record based on time but based on *what I actually wanted
to record*.  And if the programme starts 2 minutes early or runs 2
minutes over, then it should record *to completion* and not stop just
because the time it says it was scheduled for isn't the time it actually
ran.

Jim