POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unix shell : Re: Unix shell Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unix shell
From: Warp
Date: 1 Feb 2011 09:23:07
Message: <4d48174a@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   How do you resolve this? That's right: You tell the compiler which files
> > it needs to compile.

> Nope. You tell the compiler which *object* file goes with the appropriate
> *source* file.

  Yeah, huge difference.

>  Either they're all compiled together (in which case you
> shouldn't be stupid enough to do that because it won't compile at all)

  Are you saying that it's impossible to have a C# source file with the
same name in two different directories and which implement a class with
the same name?

  What does the compiler do? Scan your entire hard drive to see if it
finds clashing class names, and refuses to compile if it does?

> Do you really not see the difference between saying "each time I compile
> something, I have to pick which source file to compile" and saying "each
> time I compile something, I have to pick the right source files that go with
> the corresponding libraries of every library I'll eventually link this with"?

  Not really. You have to specify which source files the program is
composed of. The compiler cannot read your mind. Your example of the same
C file being in two different directories is simply bogus. It has nothing
to do with C particularly.

> >   Exactly how is this situation different from your example?

> Because the object code of the file in question is used during the
> compilation of your source code. Hence, the declarations and definitions are
> united in one file, which is checksummed if distributed outside the project
> to ensure what version you're using.

> Indeed, when I use the C# equivalent of stdio (or any other third-party
> library), I don't need any source code I didn't write myself, nor do I need
> to specify where to find the libraries. I merely say which version of what
> implementation I want.

  And when I write C++, same thing. So what?

>  > an inexistent flaw in C

> I'm happy for you that this flaw has never bitten you in the butt. But it's
> far from "inexistent." (Incidentally, the word would be "nonexistent".)

  "I have seen the same C file in multiple places, but I have never seen
the same C# file in multiple places, hence C is clearly the inferior
language." Yes, very convincing argumentation.

--
                                                          - Warp