POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Feb 2011 04:48:49
Message: <4d47d701@news.povray.org>
>> I spent quite a long time doing that with digital filter design.
>> Eventually I gave up due to the sheer intractability of finding anything
>> remotely useful. (Fortunately, many years later I finally stumbled upon
>> a very good resource by accident...)
>
> The trick is to train yourself to do so intentionally so finding the
> right resource isn't accidental.  Do you have a local library?

Oh, the *library* doesn't contain any technical books. Trying to find
anything there beyond GCSE level is a waste of time. You couldn't even
find a book on integral calculus, much less something advanced like
digital filter design.

>>> You need to learn to do this iteration rather than giving up after
>>> round 1 so frequently.  You did it with your dancing classes, so apply
>>> that to other areas in your life. :)
>>
>> Uh, I went to *one* dance school, and I'm still there. Not a great
>> analogy. :-P
>
> Actually, it's an excellent analogy, because you determined:
>
> 1.  You wanted to learn to dance
> 2.  You identified someplace that could help you do so
> 3.  You identified the class(es) that you were most interested in
> 4.  You went to class and learned
> 5.  YOU KEPT AT IT
> 6.  You are continuing to refine your skills by still going to class
>
> It's a perfect example of the iterative process of learning, because
> you've gone through many iterations.

I asked my sister which school I should go to and what class to take.
After that, I kept going because I was addicted. There wasn't a whole
lot of effort involved. (Other than the effort of remaining upright.
Have *you* tried dancing the Waltz? It's way harder than you'd think...)