  Re: Molecular biology
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Jan 2011 22:05:42
Message: <4d477886$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Yeah, the truly sad thing being, it doesn't even have to be changed to
> erase guns, just make the rules clearer.

The rules are actually quite clear, methinks. The only reason anyone thinks
the rules are fuzzy is because they don't like the rules. I don't think
anyone would argue, for example, that it's illegal for a member of the
militia to own a firearm appropriate for use in the militia. Yet that's
exactly the kinds of firearms that people try to outlaw. And "milita member"
has a very clear definition in current law as well.

Sort of like how "evil" only has a fuzzy definition when God is doing it.

>>> rug and calling, "Just normal stuff, so we didn't put it in the report."
>>
>> You can go on speculating all you like. None of it actually means much
>> until you show the extent to which anything like that actually happens.
>> You can speculate that if the US changed our gun laws, Norway would have
>> less violent crime, and you can speculate that if the US bought fewer
>> violent video games, then Norway would have less violent crime, and
>> you'd have about equal amounts of support for either stance.
>>
> Actually, no you wouldn't. The irony is, even though the issue of gun
> control may be fuzzy in the US, we are the #1 buyer of violent video
> games, and just about everything else similar, yet the violent crime
> rate actually dropped drastically about the time that such games hit the
> market, and its been in steady decline since.

That's actually rather my point.

> But, then, the real problem is abuse, mental health issues, and the
> like, and our refusal to deal with *those* problems, both as a nation,
> and as parents

Yep. That's basically what I said early on. Except in relation to firearms
instead of video games.

> The solution is to deal with the problems, not stick everyone in plastic
> hamster globes, and only show them "safe" things,

Don't forget not letting them have anything dangerous, like a firearm. Gotta
protect everyone, after all.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"