  Re: Molecular biology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 31 Jan 2011 21:36:40
Message: <4d4771b8@news.povray.org>
On 1/31/2011 11:58 AM, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> And you are missing mine. Russia didn't want to wipe out everything
>> and start over, neither did the US.
>
> And if there's a revolution in the USA, you think the US government will
> want to wipe out every US citizen and city and start over?

I think, if such a thing where to happen its going to be a stupidly
small number starting it, and they will get their asses kicked so damn
fast all the people with guns won't even have a chance to find
ammunition for them. Which means, any *real* threat, where having lots
of people armed, isn't going to be something that internal.

I am also pretty sure of two other things 1) If there is need of a
revolution, it will be because things changed slowly, without people
paying attention, and 2) the sort of people that, right now, actually
keep talking about one are the ones that we would have to revolt
against, if they ever successfully pushed a revolution. And, even people
stupid enough to allow someone to erase their freedoms over a few
hundred years are probably **not** stupid enough to follow the wackos
that keep yapping about one right now.

In short, it will either be too late, by the time someone decides we
need one, or it will be entirely the sort of people the government would
be justified in doing something about, in neither case is it going to be
either in my life time, nor anyone I would give a shit about being armed
enough to fight the government. And, purely from the practical
standpoint, despite our willingness to give crazies a voice, the US has,
in general, rarely backslid into a state any worse than we previously
found our way out of. Even some of the recent infringements (like some
of the wire tap laws) are neither as bad as those already implemented in
the past 200 years, nor have, when those things have existed, they ever
*lasted* past the next period of relative peace, when people started
asking, "Why are we still doing this?"

I might not trust many of the fools in government, but I do trust the
system, in as much as it lends itself to progressing, far more than
regressing. With revolutions... you don't have a damn clue what you will
end up with. And, that should scare rational people.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {