POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New CA Simulation : Re: New CA Simulation Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New CA Simulation
From: stbenge
Date: 31 Jan 2011 19:08:40
Message: <4d474f08@news.povray.org>
On 1/31/2011 3:13 PM, Darren New wrote:
> stbenge wrote:
>> But what do you call it when the only thing stopping your software's
>> deployment is one tiny exe that happens to be bundled into one
>> humongous development kit?
>
> So you go to download the kit and you need to make up an account to
> download it. But the make-up-the-account doesn't work through the
> corporate firewall, so you go home. But your home computer has firefox
> and the download doesn't work with that. So you install Chrome and
> manage to sign up, but they don't take gmail addresses for logins. So
> you go to log in over the VPN, but the VPN software has been upgraded,
> so you need to take your VPN box back to work anyway to get reflashed.
> So you go back to work to download the file but it doesn't come through
> the proxy. So you bypass the proxy but there isn't enough temp space to
> download the package. So you go to back up some useful files but the USB
> drive has gone missing. So you ask around to see who has the USB drive

Is that talking from personal experience, or extrapolating from a
possibility? I can see that happening. If only half of what you said has
actually happened to you, I no longer feel so bad.

> When, really, all you wanted was to write a f'ing piece of code.

I know the thing must be less than 200K, but after reading the
license/user agreement, I know that that one tiny file can't be
distributed singularly (without legal repercussions). At least after I
download the monolith-of-an-development-kit, I can start learning actual
Java and go beyond the scope of Processing.

Sam