POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Jan 2011 16:33:57
Message: <4d472ac5$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Trouble is, I write the outline, start writing the body text, and then
>>> discover that this is actually a bad order, due to some dependency I
>>> hadn't thought of.
>>
>> Then you stop writing and you go back and fix the outline. It means your
>> outline wasn't detailed enough to start with.
>
> OK. But once you change the outline, you have to rewrite the entire
> document. (Because otherwise you'll have chapter 3 thinking that X has
> already been explained, when now it's actually in chapter 7 instead...)

Sometimes. Eventually you learn how to make the outline detailed enough that
you don't crap all over yourself that way.  Just like programming.

>> What you need to learn is what's called "lies to children."
> Yeah, Knuth did a lot of this in The TeX Book...

I don't think many people accuse Knuth of being unable to organize complex
interrelated pieces of technical information. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"