POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I am convinced... : Re: I am convinced... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I am convinced...
From: Warp
Date: 31 Jan 2011 16:19:53
Message: <4d472779@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I thought that (for example) if a
> Unix process exits without freeing the memory it allocated, that memory
> remains allocated forever.

  I really can't understand why you would think that. Processes ask the
OS for memory (how else is the OS able to allocate memory to different
processes?), but the OS would then just let that memory remain allocated
when the process ends, if it didn't ask the OS explicitly to free it?
*Why* would it do that, given that freeing the memory is, relatively
speaking, trivial?

--
                                                          - Warp