POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to "solidify" edge of clipped mesh2 surface? : Re: How to "solidify" edge of clipped mesh2 surface? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to "solidify" edge of clipped mesh2 surface?
From: stbenge
Date: 31 Jan 2011 15:33:30
Message: <4d471c9a@news.povray.org>
On 1/30/2011 1:13 PM, Alain wrote:
>> I would like to make a (CSG-like) solid band, or tube/pipe/cylinder,
>> that runs
>> along the *edge* where the plane and the mesh2 intersect.
>>
> As your mesh is roughly spherical, you may be able to make a difference
> using it this way:
>
> Add an inside vector to the mesh.
>
> Use a difference of the mesh, a slightly scaled down copy of the mesh,
> using a scale statement, and a box or plane.
>
> It can work as you seem so have a totaly convexe and relatively simple
> overall shape.

Although it won't produce a rounded edge, an extension to your idea
could involve an intersection of several offset copies of the mesh,
differenced from the original mesh. This would be similar to the
"thicken" feature of some mesh modelers. Twelve copies could be used in
an icosaherdal offset pattern, or better yet, a geodesic dome with many
vertices. It would be slow, but would probably work even for non-convex
meshes.

Sam