POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unix shell : Re: Unix shell Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:13:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unix shell
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Jan 2011 14:25:33
Message: <4d470cad$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Never miss a chance to bash C.

I don't understand how me describing a problem that caused me not to like
certain features of C is "never missing a chance to bash C."

>   Of course it cannot know which files a something depends on unless you
> tell it. Seems rather obvious to me.

OK, at this point, you're just refusing to understand what I'm saying.

>> Right now, for example, I have an XML file I use to specify the levels for
>> my game. In those XML files I include the lists of animations going on in
>> different places, the textures, etc etc etc.
>
>> Know what? Make doesn't handle that.
>
>   Sounds like something 'make' was specifically designed for.

Not really. Make only handles it if I manually duplicate that information
into a different format.  If I add something to the XML and not to the
makefile, it's not going to work any more.

Are you telling me that the need for duplicating that sort of information is
a *good* idea? Or do you admit that needing that information in two
different places in two different forms is indeed a limitation that it would
be desirable to eliminate?

>   You don't seem to understand that 'make' is a generic tool. Or more
> precisely, you don't seem to understand what the word "generic" means.

I'm fully aware of what "generic" means. You ask me why I don't like A, and
I say "it leads to problems with B", and you say "make up your mind whether
it's A or B you're going to bash."

>   And the best part of all this? So far you haven't given even a single
> alternative that would do everything that 'make' does and is better by
> your definition (whichever that might be). And preferably one that can
> be run in most systems.

And you know what? There will never be such an alternative by folks who
think that anyone pointing out a limitation with their tools are simply
bashing for the sake of bashing.

That said, there are many alternatives to make, some of which even generate
makefiles as output.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"