POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Jan 2011 14:08:15
Message: <4d47089f@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Trouble is, I write the outline, start writing the body text, and then
> discover that this is actually a bad order, due to some dependency I
> hadn't thought of.

Then you stop writing and you go back and fix the outline. It means your
outline wasn't detailed enough to start with.

>>> Writing a page or two isn't too hard. (Parsec, anyone?) Writing
>>> something that's 30 pages long is another matter.
>>
>> It's the same process.
>
> Not really. I mean, if you write something that doesn't completely make
> sense until two paragraphs later, most people will accept that. If you
> write something in chapter 2 that doesn't really make sense until
> chapter 17... not good.

Memento. Inception. Any suspense movie you care to name. ;-)

I know what you mean, tho. I'm just teasing.

What you need to learn is what's called "lies to children." You give just
enough information to make chapter 2 make sense, even if that's wrong
information. Then in chapter 17, you say "remember what I told you back in
chapter 2? Well, you have to adjust it to account for this."

>>> I don't know anybody who is this patient.
>>
>> I'm happy to do it for a while, *if* you are actually interested in
>> learning and will try it the way I ask you to.
>
> OK, well we'll see...

I look forward to it. Heck, I can give you assignments, too. ;-0

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"