POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Horrible Histories wins the Best Sketch Show at the British Comedy Awards. : Re: Horrible Histories wins the Best Sketch Show at Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:11:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Horrible Histories wins the Best Sketch Show at
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Jan 2011 10:11:32
Message: <4d46d124$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Then again are we just getting a large amount of rubbish these days?
>>
>> Otherwise known as "you're getting old". Apparently I share this
>> affliction. :-(
>
> It's a glib answer, but is it true? I honestly don't think so.

I don't have enough data to say with any certainty.

(Also, the only "glib" I know of is the GNOME Foundation utilities
library...)

> and now the BBC is spread over
> two more channels and two kids ones (discounting the news and parliament);
> ITV's gained three plus a children's; Four's got at least two more as has
> Five; plus all the other non-affiliated stuff. There's no extra content so
> it's just being spread paper-thin over all these new channels.

In other words, instead of having four or five quality channels, we have
400 or 500 channels of filler. How sad.

> I have never, NEVER enjoyed soaps; they make my brain itch; fake
> purporting to be reality while obviously being fake. It's a level of
> self-deception I can't follow.

I hate soaps too. And yet, we seem to be drowning in them today.

>> Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because you can't turn on your TV
>> any more and watch science or nature programs. They just don't seem to
>> make 'em any more.
>
> Couple of Horizon's on the BBC, the odd Attenborough, but no other than
> that it's fairly bleak.

Hell, Horizon used to be good stuff. Now it seems to be "hey, look at
this freak boy born without eyebrows, and watch the incredible reality
story of how doctors perform ground-breaking surgery to make him normal
again". To suffice, even Horizon is a reality TV show now.

> There's always Dave.

Dave. What are you doing Dave? This is highly irregular...