POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Jan 2011 04:50:24
Message: <4d4685e0$1@news.povray.org>
>> ...well, I end up drafting and re-drafting in an endless cycle which
>> never produces a document of more than a few dozen pages. :-(
>
> You're jumping in and writing code before you've written a spec.
>
> The way you solve this problem is you write an outline. Next time you're
> trying to do this, write an outline and show it to us first, before
> writing *any* text. Three days later, write the text by following the
> outline.
>
> Trust me on this.

Trouble is, I write the outline, start writing the body text, and then
discover that this is actually a bad order, due to some dependency I
hadn't thought of.

It's like writing a computer program by deciding what you're going to
name the modules, and then discovering that your programs abstractions
don't actually factor that way very naturally.

(I actually think of writing as being very similar to programming...)

>> Writing a page or two isn't too hard. (Parsec, anyone?) Writing
>> something that's 30 pages long is another matter.
>
> It's the same process.

Not really. I mean, if you write something that doesn't completely make
sense until two paragraphs later, most people will accept that. If you
write something in chapter 2 that doesn't really make sense until
chapter 17... not good.

>> I don't know anybody who is this patient.
>
> I'm happy to do it for a while, *if* you are actually interested in
> learning and will try it the way I ask you to.

OK, well we'll see...

>>> I would think you learn by sitting with other professional sound
>>> engineers. I wouldn't think "sound engineer" is something you could read
>>> about.
>>
>> You're probably right about that.
>>
>> Even if this isn't the case, it's unlikely that the necessary material
>> can be accessed for free. It's more likely you'd have to pay money for
>> that.
>
> Altho I imagine with the internets' ability to deliver sound in a way
> textbooks can't, you *might* be able to learn this online.

Perhaps...