  Re: Molecular biology
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jan 2011 17:27:25
Message: <4d45e5cd$1@news.povray.org>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

>> Understand that the reason the guns are around in the USA are for when
>> the shit hits the fan. We haven't had a whole lot of revolutions in this
>> country, in part because of the second amendment. Before you disarm
>> everyone, take into account the effect that has on how corrupt the
>> government can get, before you loudly proclaim the benefits of being
>> just as disarmed as the general population of, say, China. :-)
>>
> Imho, the second amendment doesn't have **jack** to do with it.

Sure it does. Combined with soldiers (for example) taking an oath to the
constitution instead of the leaders, it helps.  But I'm not going to argue
that with you.

> Assuming you could get the military to act against the people
> it protects, the general citizenry would be out gunned,

Yes, because, you know, Afghanistan hasn't had any success in such a situation.

> The general populous being able to wave a hand gun around,
> when facing a Mach-2 aircraft with frakking cluster bombs, is
> meaningless. It gets more and more meaningless as things progress.

Funny. Tell them that in Iraq.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"