POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to "solidify" edge of clipped mesh2 surface? : Re: How to "solidify" edge of clipped mesh2 surface? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to "solidify" edge of clipped mesh2 surface?
From: Alain
Date: 30 Jan 2011 16:13:36
Message: <4d45d480@news.povray.org>

> I have a closed mesh2 surface (roughly spherical), clipped by a plane. Viewed
> from a bit below the clipping plane, it looks sort of like an open hemisphere.
>
> I would like to make a (CSG-like) solid band, or tube/pipe/cylinder, that runs
> along the *edge* where the plane and the mesh2 intersect.
>
> I've been able to get the slab corresponding to the opening (intersection with a
> very thin box and the mesh2), and a plane-like slab with the opening hole
> cut-out (difference), but I cannot get just the edge (with some thickness, so
> you can see it!).
>
> Suggestions? Thanks!
> David

As your mesh is roughly spherical, you may be able to make a difference
using it this way:

Add an inside vector to the mesh.

Use a difference of the mesh, a slightly scaled down copy of the mesh,
using a scale statement, and a box or plane.

It can work as you seem so have a totaly convexe and relatively simple
overall shape.

Alain