POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : HDR images as functions: is this right? : Re: HDR images as functions: is this right? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 02:34:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDR images as functions: is this right?
From: stbenge
Date: 30 Jan 2011 15:27:46
Message: <4d45c9c2@news.povray.org>
On 1/29/2011 10:08 AM, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> The best solution would probably be to provide built-in
> support for building pigments from functions without going
> via cludgy pattern, color_map and averaging in povray.

One (currently impossible) solution for what I'm trying to do would be
to warp a pigment with a function directly. Then I could have three
warps, one for each axis, using Rune's base functions for applying a
camera-based projection. There would be no need to build a pigment from
converted functions, and the depiction of HDR and OpenEXR images would
be accurate.

But maybe you're right, directly building pigment from functions would
probably be best, since then people could apply luminance transforms
among other things.

I'm really not interested in developing complex workarounds for a result
that may end up rendering slower than three averaged pigments, or for
something only a tiny portion of POVvers would actually need. I've seen
no apparent loss of detail when dividing and multiplying by 255, but
then again I use sane light_source and ambient settings (<10.0 in most
cases).

Sam