  Re: Molecular biology
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jan 2011 14:32:06
Message: <4d45bcb6@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
>> I.e., I doubt there's much traffic of inexpensive stolen firearms
>> between the USA and the UK.
>
> I don't think they need to be stolen.

Why are you blaming the USA if you can pass import restriction laws to solve
your problem, then?  I assumed you were talking about *illegal* firearms,
because otherwise all you have to do is pass a law making the legal firearms
illegal to solve *that* problem.

> Proving it in a particular case is rather useless. And I am not blaming
> anyone. There was a discussion on whether the net effect of the US gun
> laws is more or less victims. My point was that you might need to look
> further than your own country.

That's fair, certainly.

> What I proposed was to compare two
> situations 1) the current one where the NRA is the main direct and
> indirect factor in gun control

I think a lot of people in this country are in favor of being able to have
their own guns. It's not like the NRA has taken over or something. There are
a whole bunch of states where getting a gun legally is extremely difficult,
and a whole bunch where it's really trivially easy, because people like it
that way. And it's mainly historical situations that dictate that.

>>> Ok, you are blaming the EU for a decision in Africa by leaders that
>>> are more concerned about themselves than their people?
>>
>> The same as you're blaming America for a decision made by criminals in
>> your country.
>
> Again, I am not blaming anyone.

OK. Read "blame" as metaphorical, then. :-)

> Sorry, that was meant for the sentence before. Mexico is worse because
> of it's own mixture of drugs and availability of fire arms.

Yep. But it's mainly worse because the organized crime has taken over from
the "legitimate" government. Government, really, is just the biggest
protection racket. If you lose control to local criminals, all the laws in
the world won't keep them from making their own firearms pretty easily.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"