POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Smooth the corners in the intersection of two tubes : Re: Smooth the corners in the intersection of two tubes Server Time
2 Jul 2024 22:27:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth the corners in the intersection of two tubes
From: Stephen
Date: 30 Jan 2011 10:26:48
Message: <4d458338@news.povray.org>
On 30/01/2011 2:53 PM, NoOneEagle wrote:
> I'm faily new and have looked through the FAQ's but haven't found an answer
> yet...
>
> I have ends of two tubes coming together at a 90 degree angle and it looks
> just like two tubes coming together. How do I achieve the effect of a corner,
> like in a picture frame at the corners, instead of the "overlapping" look of
> just two tubes coming together and if you have an answer would you have a short
> code showing such?

Difference a cube, rotated at 45 degrees from a cylinder and translated
so the edge touches the outside of the cylinder.

difference {
  cylinder {
   -0.5*y,0.5*y,1.0
   scale     <1.0,10.0,1.0>
   translate <0.0,5.0,0.0>
  }

  box {
   < -0.50, -0.50, -0.50 >, < 0.50, 0.50, 0.50 >
   scale     <3.0,3.0,3.0>
   rotate    <0.0,0.0,45.0>
   translate <1.112,0.0,0.0> /* translated so the edge touches the
outside of the cylinder */
  }

}

--