  Re: Molecular biology
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Jan 2011 20:18:06
Message: <4d44bc4e$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> BTW from what I have heard guns (if you know
> where to get them) are not outside the budget of a 15 YO.

A 15YO drug dealer, maybe. It's not hard to see what the price of a gun is.
The price *you* pay for them over there? Not so much.

I.e., I doubt there's much traffic of inexpensive stolen firearms between
the USA and the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_night_special#Economic_class

Then, if you can't actually import them, you can do this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_gun

> BTW I was not blaming anyone. I was just pointing out that also people
> abroad may die as a result of a US policy on guns. In the Netherlands
> they are mainly foreigners involved in drugs who get shot here, but still.

While I understand your concern, blaming firearm deaths on other countries
having a big market for firearms is like blaming automobile deaths on other
countries having a big market for automobiles. It basically doesn't really
make much sense. The link between "americans are allowed to have guns" to
"fred shot sam in the UK" is tremendously tenuous, methinks.

> Ok, you are blaming the EU for a decision in Africa by leaders that are
> more concerned about themselves than their people?

The same as you're blaming America for a decision made by criminals in your
country.

>> http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/08/Bettertostarve.shtml
> That sounds not so objective.

I gave you the link to the newspaper, too. Of course it's not objective -
it's a blog.

>> Honestly, Mexico is worse. They have just as many guns, if not more.
> Yes for exactly that reason.

Mexico has many guns for exactly *what* reason? Because Americans can own
guns? They're not especially regulated in Mexico either, you know.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"