  Re: Molecular biology
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Jan 2011 17:36:46
Message: <4d44967e$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> You might say that, but you would be wrong. At least for the people I
> was talking about.

I don't know who you're talking about. I'm saying that the expense of guns
doesn't seem to have an obvious and direct correlation on the number of
people who get shot, given that lots of people were shot in countries where
guns were very expensive.

>>> Get over it, your second amendment is getting people killed outside
>>> the US. But don't worry they are mostly foreigners.
>>
>> Yep. And the EU's stance on non-GMO food is getting a lot of people
>> killed outside the EU.
>
> Interesting counterargument. Or is it?

I'm not arguing. I'm just pointing out that there are good and bad things
going on everywhere. Blaming the US for people getting shot in the UK or
wherever you are is like blaming the EU for people starving in Africa.

> Anyway never heard this theory before, care to explain?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2233839.stm

We had enough grain to outweigh a couple of battleships ready to go
(hundreds of thousands of tons), and some African countries wouldn't accept
it until it was milled, because they didn't want to lose their EU market for
their produce. Instead, millions of people starved in Africa because the EU
wouldn't import grain from them in the future if they took this grain now.

http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/08/Bettertostarve.shtml

>> You enforce your laws, we'll enforce ours. :-) We
>> don't blame the netherlands for the US locking up pot users either.
>
> OTOH we blame the US for locking up Dutch citizens for pot related
> 'crimes'.

Sure. That whole thing is screwed up here.  We don't like it either.

> Talking about drugs, having strict drug laws *and* freely available guns
> is a recipe for disaster. ;)

Honestly, Mexico is worse. They have just as many guns, if not more.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"