  Re: Molecular biology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Jan 2011 20:32:44
Message: <4d436e3c$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/28/2011 9:50 AM, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Hmm. You mean like NY, where enforcement and gun laws have increased,
>> and oddly, the violent crime rate has dropped *faster* than any other
>> part of the country? Like that sort of thing?
>
> I think you need to do more controlled studies. Some places, the crime
> rate goes way up. Some places it goes down. If you take two similar
> areas next to each other and compare, the place with less gun control
> has lower crime rates, but one might argue that's because there's easy
> pickin's close by. Gun crime is very low in some countries with lots of
> guns simply because there aren't many laws against shooting other people
> that get enforced or because most of the violence is the government
> against the peasants. Gun crime is very low in some countries that
> traditionally even the police don't carry guns, simply because the
> culture isn't as violent and is much more uniform, and the crime rate
> would be equally low if everyone had guns.

You can't do controlled studies. Its one of them etheekal things, or
what nots... ;) Seriously though, all you have is statistics to go off
of. In the case of NY, the statistics say two things, based on a long
history of issues:

1. Enforcing even the smaller crimes tends to result in fewer crimes in
general. Based off an earlier case of them doing that, and them not
going back up a lot later, or the like.

2. It seems that enforcing gun laws effectively drops violent crime
(specifically with guns), more than its dropping in other places
already. The interesting thing with that being, a large city, with lots
of people in it, is usually *slower* at reducing such things than rural
areas, in the general scheme.

Not proof of correlation, but either it has to do with enforcement, or
magic, because its not too clear what else *could* be causing the
result, or why it would be higher one place than another, sans the obvious.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {