POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Jan 2011 12:59:19
Message: <4d4303f7$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:08:28 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> I consider myself to be moderately good at explaining complex ideas.
>>> What I utterly suck at is writing anything of any significant size.
>>
>> That just comes with practice.  Practice that includes feedback that
>> you learn from, that is.
>
> Yes, well, given that 98% of everything I write will never be seen by
> another pair of eyes, that's not likely to change.

It certainly won't be if you don't share it.  Another tip from this book
I'm reading is to weekly take some time to create a presentation on a
topic - any topic - and share it with someone to get some feedback.

You can't get the benefit from practicing something if you don't actually
practice it.

>> That also comes with practice and feedback.  What really helps is to
>> understand your audience - which requires asking prospective members of
>> your audience what their experience is in the field you're presenting
>> on.
>
> Usually the answer is "for ****'s sake, we don't /care/ about Haskell!"

Then you've not done a proper audience analysis.  You have to pick topics
that your audience cares about.  It's a much more advanced presentation
skill to make people care about something they don't currently care about.

>> GIYF:
>>
>> http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Sound-Engineer
>
> I'm loving the "warning - sound engineers earn peanuts" bit. Nice to
> know!

Some people do a job for reasons other than money. :-)

Jim