  Re: Molecular biology
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Jan 2011 12:51:21
Message: <4d430219@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 07:58:30 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Again, depends on the point of discussion. An argument is only rational
> if it is *possible* to change someone's mind. If the reason they can't
> is religion, then QED, they are not rational about that subject.

It's entirely possible to be logical using the internal logic (which in
many religions has some degree of consistency) and have a rational
discussion.

Rationality doesn't imply starting from a valid premise.  You can be
completely rational and logical in discussing something that starts with
a bad premise.

An argument can be completely rational as well if the goal isn't to
change someone's mind but to provide them with another data point or to
learn something yourself.

That's why I've continued responding here, for example <ducking>. ;-)

Jim