  Re: Molecular biology
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Jan 2011 11:53:46
Message: <4d42f49a@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Course.. The number "saved" is fairly arbitrary. You have to assume that
> everyone "saved" couldn't have been without the gun,

No. You go to, for example, the FBI violent crime reports, and see how many
times people were mugged who had a knife got hurt. Then how many times
people were mugged who had a gun and got hurt. Then how many times people
who were mugged and had no weapon got hurt. Etc.

It turns out, at least for the years I looked up way back in college, that
it was something like 82% of the people who cooperated were unharmed, 86% of
the people who had a gun (whether they drew it or fired it or not) were
unharmed, and the next higher number was mid-70s. So, basically, having a
gun is the only way when being a victim of a violent crime that's likely to
get you less hurt than just handing over your wallet.

> ignore the problem, and just proclaim, "A gun was there, so they where
> saved by one."?

If they were *saved*, they can tell you what happened.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"