POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Product Mysteries : Re: Product Mysteries Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:30:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Product Mysteries
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jan 2011 23:37:13
Message: <4d4247f9$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:10:50 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> What does surprise me is that in a moving aircraft, the GPS receiver in
>> my phone is useless.
>
> Not all of them are. My brother has a trace from his exercize watch that
> shows him flying across country.

Well, I didn't think all of them were, after all, the plane has one
itself. :-)

But that actually was what I wanted to try - I like playing with flight
simulators, and it's useful to be able to get speed and altitude
information from a GPS trace from an actual flight. :-)

>> I could as well, but then again, there are lots of wireless signals
>> flying around in open space, but I would expect something that's
>> designed to fly through the air to have some shielding against it.
>
> Especially that in which the general public will be flying. I'm not
> surprised there are industrial settings where following the rules is
> more important than in an airplane passenger compartment.

Same here, I think (the "not surprised" bit is confusing me, but that may
just be fatigue and the fact that I just got home from a 90 minute
community council meeting where the primary discussion most of the time
was "accessory dwelling units".  Yeehaw.

Jim