POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cops don't have to protect you? : Re: Cops don't have to protect you? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:13:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cops don't have to protect you?
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Jan 2011 18:39:49
Message: <4d420245$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
>> They're not. You have to click on the button that says "show me these
>> options." At least in Vista.

> And to answer your remark: no, the whole list of options is available as
> a popup menu in the lower right.

Yep. That would be the button now wouldn't it? ;-)

> different from what I selected from the configuration menu.

The tooltip (and even the icon) change depending on what the icon does.

> Why put it in the power management control in the first place?

It seems the obvious place to put configuration for what to do with power
buttons. Where would you put it?

In any case, what you're arguing is that the UI for selecting the right
thing could be improved. Sure, no doubt. I was objecting to Joel's
contention that the UI wasn't needed at all, because he himself only ever
did one thing with the computer.

> blender didn't yet, I have lost hours of work by accidentally moving my
> mouse when trying to put the machine to sleep while I was off to a
> meeting).

That's what the icon is for. :-)

> You don't. You put the most commonly used one under the button and allow
> easy temporary overrides. Right click on the button.

Or, hey, maybe we could have *another* button nearby that pops up the list
of other less-common operations you might want to perform!

> I am not sure if he wants just to clean up the interface or also change
> the possible options. If the latter I disagree, but I fully support him
> for the former.

He clearly wants to eliminate options. He wants sleep, power, hibernate, and
reboot to all be the same option, for example.

> is a clear sign that it is not designed
> consistently.

I disagree. You just never learned it properly in the first place. It's
software. It *can* be any way you want. You have to learn the idioms.

I am a physicist, I cannot remember facts, but I won't
> forget something that I understand.

Then clearly you never understood it in the first place, right? :-)
--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"