POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Using lightmaps generated with POV back into POV textures : Re: Using lightmaps generated with POV back into POV textures Server Time
28 Sep 2024 06:13:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using lightmaps generated with POV back into POV textures
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 27 Jan 2011 14:43:59
Message: <4d41caff$1@news.povray.org>

> Have you actually tried OpenEXR? This file format *does* support alpha

   (In moments like this one, I realize how appropriate was the choice
of the name for my site domain... :)

   No, actually I didn't try OpenEXR... I tried Radiance (.hdr), which
doesn't support alpha, and I assumed this was the only HDR output in
POV-Ray 3.7! I should read the new docs ASAP...

   BTW, I just tried OpenEXR output and it worked perfectly for light
mapping, as soon as I found out that I had to adjust the the 0-1 range
to 0-255 (thanks, Sam: I realized it when reading your latest post!).

   #local RED = pigment {
     function { ft_pigment(x,y,z).red * fp_lightmap(x,y,z).red/255 }
     color_map { [0 rgb 0][1 rgb <255,0,0>] }
   }

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C4ca53804$1@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=355419&toff=50

> I see. Looks like a POV-Bug. Have you considered filing a bug report
> before it is too late ;)

   Did I ever mention that I'm waaaay too lazy? ...well, OK, only for
this time I will try overcome my aversion for bug reporting.

> which reminds me that I wanted also report
> one more definite bug but for the moment I cannot remember what it was.

   :)

   Thanks for your excellent advice, as usual...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org