  Re: Molecular biology
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jan 2011 11:55:50
Message: <4d41a396@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:11:06 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Yes, well.. Those would be the sports "nuts". My point was, when push
> comes to shove, among religions, everyone has something they are *nuts*
> about.

The vast majority of religious people (or people who self-identify as
such) just go to church on Sunday and get on with their lives.  Of course
you never hear about them, you only hear about the lunatics, because the
normal people aren't interesting news.

It's been my experience that *most* people who are religious also won't
get offended by something you say about their religion if you frame it in
a way that isn't offensive.

If you walk into an LDS wardhouse and start screaming "you're all nuts,
Jesus never came to the US and you're all LOOZERZ!@!!@!@!@", you'll get a
strong reaction.

But at the same time, if you sit down with individuals and have a
rational discussion with them, you may not change their minds, but you'll
get a respectful discussion.

I know.  I've done it.  (The latter, not the former).

Jim