POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jan 2011 11:45:16
Message: <4d41a11c$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:34:23 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> I don't see how whether Sony's machine erases the content after you
> watch it has anything to do with whether it's legal to watch it more
> than once,

Since it's a semi-permanent storage medium, it would seem to me to be
faulty logic to assume that legally you can only view the content once.

That doesn't preclude some illogical reason being reached, however -
after all, we are talking about legal matters - sometimes logic doesn't
apply.

> any more than the fact the photocopier doesn't ever check for
> copyright notices makes photocopying copyrighted textbooks universally
> legal.

Some copiers do that now, see the "3 dot pattern" method of preventing a
copier/scanner from copying/scanning restricted materials.

(Though it's not universal, of course)

Jim