POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Using lightmaps generated with POV back into POV textures : Re: Using lightmaps generated with POV back into POV textures Server Time
27 Jun 2024 13:50:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using lightmaps generated with POV back into POV textures
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 27 Jan 2011 09:52:48
Message: <4d4186c0$1@news.povray.org>

> Am 27.01.2011 11:22, schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:
>> Can anyone think of a better (more suited) operation than simple
>> multiplication?
>
> No ;)
>
> I think just *one* multiplication should do it.
>
> Actually it looks to me like the saved lightmap file is not linear. Or
> maybe it gets gamma corrected when loading it back?

   I think it is linear, as I'm using assumed_gamma 1 and the output is
PNG, but I'm never sure about anything if gamma is involved. ;)

> Have you used OpenEXR files for the lightmap or something else?

   Unfortunately I cannot use OpenEXR, as POV-Ray doesn't supports alpha
output on these... and I need it for the trick which "grows" the UV maps
to avoid the visible seams (of course, HDR output will be the best
solution).

> And that min() bothers me as it defeats the idea of HDR lighting.

  Well, as I'm not using HDR, I guess it shouldn't matter.

> What kind of artefacts do you get?

   Dot-artifacts, exactly them same ones that FlyerX was describing on
this thread:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C4ca53804$1@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=355419&toff=50

   In the mean time, I got slighty better results using the
multiplication and then applying to the result the formula for the Gimp
"overlay" mode. Also, I'm not sure if baking lightmaps with white
pigments on the objects was the best choice... perhaps a medium grey
would get better results? (trying it now...)

   Regards,

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia