POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Jan 2011 21:19:34
Message: <4d40d636@news.povray.org>
On 1/26/2011 3:09 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:22:14 +0000, scott wrote:
>
>> Or even adults who don't want to spend $750 to have a go at 10 games. If
>> piracy was impossible then maybe that adult would buy 1 or 2 games, but
>> to say the industry has lost $750 because he downloaded 10 games is
>> ridiculous.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Jim
You know.. I had this stupid (which is to say, reasonable, but the
industry would call it completely stupid) idea.. Why not allow copying
to someone else, since all this damn tech they are now getting out can
do it, with a caveat. Any "copies" are charged at a lower cost, either
to the copier, or the one receiving. Basically.. I buy a song for 99
cents, I want someone else to have it. Both of us are using wifi, or
something like Whispernet, enabled devices. Their copy is only say 33 cents.

Sure, they don't get the full 99 cents for the song, but they get
"something", instead of it being just ripped somehow, and played anyway,
and either the guy getting it for 33 cents isn't *able* to pay 99 cents
for thousands of songs each, or they will turn around and buy the damn
album for $10, or what ever.

That would be a sane solution. Its *not quite* a viable one when most
such content is *not* through such systems, but its an idea.

Course, had they not been total idiots, they could have provided a
ripper on ever CD, which could only produce a lower grade copy. *Then*
they could have claimed real damage, since the intent of *allowing* the
copy was the encourage purchase of the full quality, and bypassing it
had the effect of denying them a real sale. (Yeah, still a weak
argument, in many ways, but its the same argument made now, without
*any* justifications, or facts, or attempt to provide a legit alternative.)

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {