  Re: Molecular biology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Jan 2011 21:11:09
Message: <4d40d43d$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/26/2011 3:37 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:30:27 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>>> Sure, but there are also plenty of reasonable people who are religious
>>> as well.
>>>
>> There is nothing "reasonable" about religion.
>
> That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it.  But I'll note that
> you're conflating "reasonable people" with "reasonable about religion"
> and the two are different.
>
>> than my own *personal* choice of wardrobe. Thankfully, sports fans get
>> no where *near* as unreasonable as "reasonable" religious people about
>> that sort of thing...
>
> Maybe you don't hang out with a crowd that does that.  Try hanging out
> with die-hard Utah Jazz fans and tell me there's a difference.  I find
> many of those hard-core sports fans to be much more obnoxious than people
> who practice a religion, or who claim to.
>
> You think I'm wrong, try wearing a Chicago Bulls jersey near the Energy
> Solutions Arena here in SLC on game day.  Or, for a real treat, try
> wearing a Mets jersey in Boston (or for that matter, to a Yankees game).
>
> Jim
Yes, well.. Those would be the sports "nuts". My point was, when push
comes to shove, among religions, everyone has something they are *nuts*
about. I would argue that, if your claim was consistent, you would be
arguing that the "rational religious" have nothing at all in common with
rabid sports fans, and that *I* am the one trying to equate the
equivalent of evangelical (or some hardline type) sports fanatics with
moderates in religion. Instead, you seem to be making the argument that,
yes, Patrick is right, religious people do have some things they get
seriously wacko about, so are exactly the same as the most rabid, and
extreme sports fan.

My argument is, unlike the religious, you have sports fans that *won't*
get offended by some specific thing you bring up, do, wear, etc., where
the religious almost all have some *specific* thing that can and will
set them off.

Note, I do not consider people that go to church for community reasons,
but are skeptical of, agnostic about, or even atheist about, god, and
religion, as "religious". That seems to represent a larger number than
full blown agnostics/atheists in the US, of the people who claim to be
religious, and is growing in number. In other countries, its just about
everyone, except for a small minority, who bother to set foot in a
church (excluding the ones that do so because it has been converted to a
bed and breakfast).

In short, if you are claiming that rabid sports fans = "rational
religious", I couldn't agree more. I, however, doubt it is what you
meant. ;) lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {